4 cups water
1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with liquid
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or 3/4 teaspoons of garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 cup quick brown rice, uncooked
1 can (14.5 ounce) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 package (16 ounce) frozen, sliced okra
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, combine the water, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and seasonings.
2. Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
3. Add rice, beans, tomato sauce, and okra. Simmer uncovered 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Add liquid as needed for desired consistency.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Substitute 2 cups cooked rice for the 1 cup quick cooking rice, reduce water by 1 cup.
More About Okra
How to Select
Choose brightly colored, firm pods.
How to Store
Do not rinse for storage. Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Store okra in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze for later: Trim stems, blanch in water, cool, and freeze in plastic bags. Use within 1 year.
How to Prepare
Rinse thoroughly. Scrub fuzz off skin. Chop. Becomes slimy if overcooked or boiled. Saut or fry, steam, grill, or roast in a small amount of oil. Add to casseroles, rice and vegetable dishes, curry, soups, and stews.
You Might Also Like
Apple & Celery Harvest Salad
Celery adds a delightful crunch to this seasonal apple salad. Though low in calories it's high in flavor!