4 cups water
1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with liquid
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or 3/4 teaspoons of garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 cup quick brown rice, uncooked
1 can (14.5 ounce) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 package (16 ounce) frozen, sliced okra
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, combine the water, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and seasonings.
2. Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
3. Add rice, beans, tomato sauce, and okra. Simmer uncovered 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Add liquid as needed for desired consistency.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Substitute 2 cups cooked rice for the 1 cup quick cooking rice, reduce water by 1 cup.
More About Okra
How to Select
Choose brightly colored, firm pods.
How to Store
Do not rinse for storage. Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Store okra in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze for later: Trim stems, blanch in water, cool, and freeze in plastic bags. Use within 1 year.
How to Prepare
Rinse thoroughly. Scrub fuzz off skin. Chop. Becomes slimy if overcooked or boiled. Saut or fry, steam, grill, or roast in a small amount of oil. Add to casseroles, rice and vegetable dishes, curry, soups, and stews.
You Might Also Like
Smashed Potatoes With Kale
Standard mashed potatoes are jazzed up with kale--an excellent source of vitamin A and vitamin C.
Cucumber, Lime and Mint Infused Water
Make drinking water more fun by flavoring it with fruits, vegetables, or herbs.