Non-stick cooking spray
1 medium carrot, small sweet potato, or small zucchini
1/4 medium head lettuce
2 large tomatoes
7 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can low-sodium pinto beans
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chopped or crushed tomatoes, no salt added
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
16 taco shells
1. Rinse, peel, and grate carrot, sweet potato, or zucchini (if using zucchini, grate but do not peel). Squeeze dry with paper towels.
2. Rinse and shred lettuce. Rinse, core, and chop tomatoes.
3. Grate cheese.
4. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
5. Coat a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat. Add turkey and brown.
6. Add grated veggies, beans, canned tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Stir well.
7. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.
8. Add 2 Tablespoons cooked meat mixture to each taco shell. Top each with 1 Tablespoon grated cheese, 1 Tablespoon shredded lettuce, and 1 Tablespoon fresh tomatoes.
Top tacos with any of your favorite veggies, hot sauce, salsa, low-fat sour cream, or low-fat plain yogurt. Use any type of cooked beans you like. Make soft tacos using corn or whole wheat tortillas. Or, serve over brown rice.
More About Tomato
How to Select
Choose plump tomatoes with smooth skins, free from bruises or cracks.
How to Store
Store at room temperature until they have fully ripened. Smell is the best indicator of ripeness.
How to Prepare
Wash with cold water before slicing. They can be eaten raw, stuffed, stewed, sauteed, grilled and much more.
You Might Also Like
Cucumber, Lime and Mint Infused Water
Make drinking water more fun by flavoring it with fruits, vegetables, or herbs.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Stew
This colorful contrast of black beans and sweet potatoes is sure to please the eye as well as the stomach!