1/2 medium head lettuce
1 medium green bell pepper
1 large tomato
1 small jalapeno pepper
1/2 medium red onion
2 cloves garlic
2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can black beans, no salt added
1 pound lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey
1 (12-ounce) bag frozen corn
1/2 cup water
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch ground black pepper
8 (6-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
Large skillet with lid
1. Rinse lettuce, bell pepper, tomato, and jalapeno. Rinse and peel onion. Peel garlic.
2. Chop or shred lettuce into bite-size pieces. Mince garlic. Halve the jalapeno and bell peppers. Remove seeds with the tip of a knife. Dice peppers.
3. Over a small bowl, grate tomato and onion using the coarse side of a box grater. Collect all pulp and juices. Grate cheddar cheese.
4. In a colander, drain and rinse beans. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook meat, bell pepper, and garlic, until meat is lightly browned. Drain to remove fat.
5. Stir in frozen corn, beans, water, and spices. Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until most liquid is gone.
6. While meat mixture is simmering, make a salsa. Add jalapeno and a pinch of salt to the grated tomato and onion. Stir and set aside.
7. Divide the meat mixture evenly among the 8 tortillas. Top each with grated cheese, salsa, and lettuce. Roll up and serve.
Use any type of cooked beans in place of the black beans. For a vegetarian option, use an extra can of drained and rinsed beans in place of the meat.
More About Tomato
How to Select
Choose plump tomatoes with smooth skins, free from bruises or cracks.
How to Store
Store at room temperature until they have fully ripened. Smell is the best indicator of ripeness.
How to Prepare
Wash with cold water before slicing. They can be eaten raw, stuffed, stewed, sauteed, grilled and much more.
You Might Also Like
One of our favorite burgers to pop on the grill is this flavorful Chicken Burger. Using chicken in place of ground beef makes for a leaner burger. Finish these burgers with a whole-grain bun, veggies and a slice of low-fat cheese!