2 medium lemons
1 cup medium bulgur wheat
11/2 cups boiling water
1 cup fresh parsley
3 green onions
1 large tomato
1 small cucumber
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch ground cayenne pepper or paprika
4 ounces feta cheese
1/4 cup mint leaves
1. Rinse and cut lemons in half. In a medium bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
2. Add bulgur and boiling water to lemon juice. Cover and let rest until bulgur is soft and chewy, about 30 minutes.
3. Rinse parsley, green onions, tomato, and cucumber. If using mint leaves, rinse now.
4. Chop parsley. If using mint leaves, chop now.
5. Trim ends off green onions. Thinly slice, using white and green parts.
6. Remove core from tomato. Dice.
7. Slice cucumber in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds with a spoon and discard. Dice cucumber. If using feta, dice now.
8. In a colander, drain excess liquid from bulgur mixture. Return bulgur to bowl.
9. Add parsley, green onions, tomato, cucumber, and remaining ingredients to bowl. Mix well to combine.
10. If using feta and mint leaves, add now. Mix gently before serving.
For best flavor, let tabbouleh rest in the fridge overnight before serving.
More About Cucumber
How to Select
Choose firm, well shaped cucumbers with dark green color, that are heavy for its size.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim ends. If skin is tough or waxed, peel. If seeds are hard, scoop out. Add fresh cucumber to salads and sandwiches. Have as a snack with dips. Eat raw: Add to salads and sandwiches, or have as a snack with dip. Cut into cubes with tomatoes and herbs, and add salad dressing. Make Greek cucumber-yogurt sauce, or add to cold soups.
You Might Also Like
Baba Ganoosh (eggplant dip with tahini: ground up sesame seeds) is a popular Middle Eastern dip and a good source of fiber.
Bow Tie Pasta with Zucchini Sauce
Grating zucchini for this dish will definitely make kids excited about this dish! It's also a delicious way to use up that end of the summer squash!