1 can (8 ounce) unsweetened pineapple chunks
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 cup 99% fat-free chicken broth
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup celery, sliced
1 medium yellow onion, cut in eighths
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced diagonally 1/4" thick
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
Heat source, skillet, knife, measuring cup, separare vegetable and poultry cutting boards
1. Drain pineapple and reserve juice.
2. Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes and place in a large skillet.
3. Add reserved pineapple juice, chicken broth, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and garlic. Cover and simmer over low heat (250 degrees for an electric skillet) for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink when cut.
4. Add vegetables and pineapple; cook an additional 5 minutes.
5. Combine cornstarch with water and stir until smooth. Slowly pour into hot mixture, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute more.
6. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
More About Onions
How to Select
Choose onions that are firm and dry with bright, smooth outer skins.
How to Store
Before storage, onions should be dry, with papery skin and shriveled roots. Store whole onions in a cool, dark, well ventilated place for use within 4 weeks. Refrigerate cut onions in a tightly sealed container for use within 2-3 days. Discard, or trim and cook, any bruised onions. Long term: Braid and hang upside-down, store in bags with some holes for ventilation in cold, dry place at 32-40 degrees. Can last up to 8 months. Do not freeze.
How to Prepare
Rinse. Trim off ends. Remove dry, papery skin. Cut in half. Peel away thick outer layer. Chop or slice. Eat raw: Sweet and red onions are milder and can be added to salads and sandwiches. Eat cooked: Yellow and white onions are stronger and great for cooking. Saut, stir-fry, microwave, steam, boil, or braise. Add to soups, sauces, casseroles, dips, and vegetable, pasta, rice, and meat dishes.