1 pound collard greens
4 medium cloves garlic
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Remove hard stems from greens.
2. Stack leaves on top of each other. Roll into a tube shape. Make a few stacks if needed.
3. Use a sharp knife to slice leaf rolls into -inch wide strips.
4. In a large bowl filled with cold water, add cut greens. Allow any dirt to settle to the bottom of the bowl. If greens are very dirty, repeat this step. Lift greens out of bowl. Shake off any excess water.
5. Peel and mince garlic.
6. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil.
7. Add greens. Use caution, as oil might splatter when damp greens are placed in hot pan. If greens can't all fit in the pan at once, cook in two batches.
8. Stir greens until wilted, about 1-2 minutes.
9. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic. Cook until greens are soft and excess water is gone, about 5-7 minutes. If garlic starts to brown or burn, reduce heat to medium-low.
10. Season with salt and pepper. Serve right away.
Try chard, kale, or any other leafy greens instead of collards. Try serving over brown rice, cornbread, or whole wheat pasta. Add cooked greens to Turkey Tacos with black beans, cheese, and salsa. Or, add to egg sandwiches.
More About Collard Greens
How to Select
Check to be sure the leaves look crisp and fresh. Avoid leaves that look wilted or have brown spots or rust.
How to Store
Do not rinse for storage. Store in a plastic bag that has holes in it. A wet paper towel in the bag will keep the leaves fresh. Store in your crisper for up to 7 days. To freeze: Steam greens, chop into pieces, and freeze in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Separate leaves and rinse. Dry in salad spinner or between towels. Cut leaves in strips. Eat raw: Chop with other greens in salads. Eat cooked: Steam, saut, stir-fry, or simmer. Simmer with chopped onions, garlic and lemon juice, until leaves are tender. Simmer with ham and black eyed peas for a classic Southern dish. Add to soups and curry dishes.
You Might Also Like
Choosing which fruits to add to this dish will for sure be another fun activity for the kids.