1 small red onion
2 medium cloves garlic
1 small eggplant
1 medium zucchini
1 medium yellow squash
1 large tomato
3 Tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Rinse and peel onion. Peel garlic. Rinse eggplant, zucchini, squash, and tomato.
3. Dice onion and eggplant into 1/2-inch pieces. Slice zucchini and squash into 1/2-inch slices. Chop tomato. Mince garlic.
4. In a medium bowl, add onion, eggplant, zucchini, squash, garlic, oil, basil, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Toss until veggies are well coated.
5. Coat baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Spread veggies out in a single layer so they do not touch. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
6. Add tomato to baking sheet. Return baking sheet to oven. Bake, stirring occasionally, until veggies are golden crisp, about 15-20 minutes more.
Serve over polenta, spinach, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, or with hearty whole grain bread. Top with grated Parmesan cheese, if you like. For a faster version, cook veggies in a large skillet on top of the stove with 1 teaspoon oil instead of baking.
More About Zucchini
How to Select
Look for zucchini with a slightly prickly, but shiny skin. The skin should be firm and free of cuts and bruises.
How to Store
Store zucchini in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Do not wash it until you are ready to use it. Cooked zucchini can be stored in the refrigerator as well, but should be used with in 2 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim tops and bottoms. Peel if skin is tough. Eat raw: Add to salads, or have as a snack with dip. Eat cooked: Steam, microwave or boil until tender, bake, roast, stir-fry, or saut. Add to pasta and rice dishes, soups and stews, and casseroles.
You Might Also Like
Apple & Celery Harvest Salad
Celery adds a delightful crunch to this seasonal apple salad. Though low in calories it's high in flavor!
Asian Noodles with Peanut Butter Sauce
Frozen veggies add a nutritious, delicious bite to this dish.