Pasta with Beans and Greens
Serves 10, 1 cup per serving
Use any of your favorite hearty greens in this cool-weather dish. You could try kale, an excellent source of vitamin A and vitamin C!
1 (16-ounce) package whole wheat pasta
2 medium onions
1 medium carrot
3 large cloves garlic
2 pounds (1 large bunch) spinach or kale
2 (15-ounce) cans great northern, cannellini, or lima beans
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Cook pasta following package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, rinse, peel, and dice onions and carrot. Peel and mince garlic.
3. Rinse greens, more than once if needed to remove all grit. Remove tough stems. Chop coarsely.
4. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
5. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil. Add garlic, carrot, onion, and greens. Cook until onions are soft.
6. Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water and seasonings. Cook until greens are tender.
7. Add beans to greens. If needed, add a little more reserved pasta water to make a sauce.
8. Add cooked pasta to beans and greens. Toss to combine. Cook until pasta is heated through, about 5 more minutes.
For extra flavor, top with hot sauce or grated Parmesan cheese. Use Swiss chard or any of your favorite hearty greens. Use olive oil instead of canola oil, if you like.
More About Kale
How to Select
Choose dark colored kale bunches with small to medium leaves. Avoid brown or yellow leaves.
How to Store
Store kale in a plastic bag in the coldest part of the fridge for 3-5 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse thoroughly. Remove leaves from stalk. Chop. Eat raw: Chop in salads, wraps, pitas, and sandwiches. Eat cooked: Steam, microwave or boil, saute or stir-fry, braise in flavored broth.