1 medium red or green bell pepper
8 ounces button mushrooms
1 large tomato
1 (4-ounce) chunk mozzarella cheese
6 whole grain English muffins
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce, no salt added
12 (2-inch-diameter) turkey Pepperoni slices
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Rinse bell pepper, mushrooms, and tomato.
3. Remove core and cut pepper into thin slices. Slice mushrooms 1/4-inch thick. Remove core and dice tomato into 1/4-inch pieces.
4. In a small bowl, grate cheese.
5. Split English muffins in half. Place them on a baking sheet. Bake until edges are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Prepare sauce while muffins cook.
6. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add peppers and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes. If needed, use a colander to drain vegetables.
7. Transfer veggies to a medium bowl. Add tomatoes. Stir to combine.
8. Stir spices into tomato sauce. Do this directly in the can.
9. When muffins are lightly browned, spoon 1 Tablespoon sauce over each muffin half. Coat evenly.
10. Layer veggies evenly over sauce. If using pepperoni, place one slice on each muffin half. Top with shredded cheese.
11. Bake muffins until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 6-8 minutes. Let pizzas cool for 2 minutes before serving.
Use mini pitas in place of English muffins, if you like. Use any seasonal veggies you like. Try broccoli, onion, or spinach.
More About Tomato
How to Select
Choose plump tomatoes with smooth skins, free from bruises or cracks.
How to Store
Store at room temperature until they have fully ripened. Smell is the best indicator of ripeness.
How to Prepare
Wash with cold water before slicing. They can be eaten raw, stuffed, stewed, sauteed, grilled and much more.
You Might Also Like
One of our favorite burgers to pop on the grill is this flavorful Chicken Burger. Using chicken in place of ground beef makes for a leaner burger. Finish these burgers with a whole-grain bun, veggies and a slice of low-fat cheese!