1 cup dried brown lentils
1 medium mango or apple
1 medium red bell pepper
1 large lemon
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley and/or cilantro (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or toasted coconut (optional)
1. In a large pot, add lentils. Cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
1. Rinse, peel, and dice mango. Rinse and dice bell pepper.
2. Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
3. If using, rinse and chop cilantro. Chop walnuts or toasted coconut.
4. In a large bowl, use a fork to whisk together lemon juice, oil, cumin, salt, and pepper. Add cooked lentils, mango, and bell pepper. Mix well. If using, stir in herbs and nuts or coconut.
This salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Add more lemon juice to kick the flavor back up after sitting. Serve as a light main dish using seasonal summer mangoes or fall apples. Top with chicken or pork if you like. For best flavor, use olive oil in place of canola oil if available.
More About Bell Peppers
How to Select
Choose peppers that are brightly colored and firm with tight skin. Avoid dull or shriveled peppers.
How to Store
Refrigerate bell peppers and use within 5 days. Freeze: Remove seeds, cut, and freeze in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Cut in half. Remove tops and seeds. Peppers can be eaten raw, grilled, baked or sauted. Top them on pizzas, throw them on salads or stuff them and bake them for a delicious meal!
You Might Also Like
Baked Kale Frittata
Frittata is an egg-based dish similar to a quiche without the crust. It's delicious served for breakfast lunch or dinner!