1/4 red onion
1 medium clove garlic
2 plum tomatoes
1 medium lime
2 medium, ripe avocados
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1. Peel onion and garlic clove. Rinse tomatoes.
2. If using, rinse cilantro. Pluck leaves from stems. Tear into small pieces.
3. Mince onion and garlic. Dice tomatoes into -inch pieces.
4. Rinse lime and cut in half. In a medium bowl, squeeze juice from each half. Discard seeds.
5. Cut avocados in half. Remove pits. Using a large spoon, scoop out flesh and add to bowl with juice.
6. Add salt to avocado. If using cumin, add now. Mash well with a fork.
7. Add onion, garlic, and tomatoes to avocado mixture. If using cilantro, add now. Stir well.
More About Garlic
How to Select
Choose garlic that is plump, dry and firm. Fresh garlic should be white to off-white.
How to Store
Garlic should be stored in a cool, dark place, but not in the refrigerator or freezer, and can be kept for several weeks. Clay garlic holders can be used as well. Unpeeled: Store in a paper bag in a cool, dark place, away from other foods. This can keep for months. Peeled: Refrigerate in sealed container, freeze peeled garlic cloves, chopped or whole, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or freezer bags. This can keep for weeks. Long term: Keep in a dry, cool location. Tie dry garlic into braids. Store bulbs together in netted bags.
How to Prepare
Separate cloves to be used from bulb. Trim tips of cloves. Peel. Chop or crush with a knife, or pure. Saut with other vegetables in oil and spices. Add to soups, sauces, casseroles, dips, rice and bean dishes, pasta, and meat dishes. Bake on breads with drizzled olive oil and seasonings.
You Might Also Like
These homemade popsicles are creamy, delicious, healthy and perfect on a hot summer day! Fun for kids to help make!
One of our favorite burgers to pop on the grill is this flavorful Chicken Burger. Using chicken in place of ground beef makes for a leaner burger. Finish these burgers with a whole-grain bun, veggies and a slice of low-fat cheese!