1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped or shredded
1 green pepper, chopped
1 pound lean ground meat (15% fat) (turkey, chicken or beef)
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (15 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed
1 can(8 ounces) mushrooms or 1/2 pound chopped fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
6 whole wheat buns, split in half to make 12
1. Saute onions, carrots, green pepper and ground meat in a 2-3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
4. Toast buns if desired. Spoon sauce over bun halves. Serve open-faced.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours
Add your favorite fresh, canned or frozen chopped vegetables. Try whole wheat English muffins instead of buns.
More About Bell Peppers
How to Select
Choose peppers that are brightly colored and firm with tight skin. Avoid dull or shriveled peppers.
How to Store
Refrigerate bell peppers and use within 5 days. Freeze: Remove seeds, cut, and freeze in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Cut in half. Remove tops and seeds. Peppers can be eaten raw, grilled, baked or sauted. Top them on pizzas, throw them on salads or stuff them and bake them for a delicious meal!
You Might Also Like
Turkey Chili with Vegetables
Is there anything better than a hot bowl of chili on a cold day? Turkey and veggies add nutrition to this winter favorite! Serve with brown rice, or whole-wheat noodles.
Blueberry Grape Relish
Stir some of this relish into plain, non-fat yogurt or low-fat cottage cheese!