1/2 pound brussels sprouts (or broccoli, cabbage, kale, collards, or turnips)
1/2 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon brown mustard (spicy)
1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried)
1/2 cup mushroom (sliced)
1. Trim brussels sprouts and cut in half. Steam until tender - about 6 to 10 minutes, or microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes.
2. In a non-stick pot bring the broth to a boil.
3. Mix in the lemon juice, mustard, and thyme. Add the mushrooms.
4. Boil until the broth is reduced by half, about 5 to 8 minutes.
5. Add the brussels sprouts (or other cooked vegetable).
6. Toss well to coat with the sauce.
More About Brussels Sprouts
How to Select
Choose firm, compact, bright green brussels sprouts heads. Buy on stalk when possible.
How to Store
Refrigerate brussels sprouts in a plastic bag with some air holes up to 1 week. Freeze: Blanch, cool, and freeze in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Cut round sprouts from stems. Trim off yellow outer leaves. Rinse in cold water. Boil, microwave, or steam until tender. Bake, saut, or braise. Add to soups, stews, and casseroles. Toss with pasta, garlic and oil. Good served with butter, salt and pepper, with grated cheese, or with lemon juice and almond slivers.