2 medium carrots
1 small onion
2 medium cloves garlic
2 medium celery stalks
1 large tomato
1 medium yellow squash
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon dried basil or dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 (14-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken or beef broth
1/2 cup water
1 cup frozen green sweet peas
1 cup whole wheat pasta, such as wagon wheels, macaroni, or penne
Optional Ingredients: cup fresh parsley
Can opener, Colander, Cutting board, Large pot, Measuring cups, Measuring spoons, Mixing spoon, Sharp knife, Vegetable peeler
1. Peel carrots, onion, and garlic cloves. Rinse carrots, onion, celery, tomato, and squash.
2. Dice onion, celery, and tomato. Mince garlic.
3. Cut carrots and squash in half lengthwise. Place flat side down. Cut into thin, half-moon slices.
4. If using, rinse parsley. Pluck leaves from stems. Mince.
5. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
6. In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add carrots, onion, garlic, and celery. Cook until slightly soft.
7. Add dried herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir.
8. Add broth, water, tomatoes, squash, beans, and peas. Bring to a boil over high heat.
9. Add pasta. Reduce heat and simmer. Cook until pasta is tender, about 8-12 minutes.
10. If using parsley, stir into soup before serving.
Use any veggies you like. Adjust cooking time as needed for the veggies you use. Use any type of canned or cooked beans. Try black beans, chickpeas, cannellini beans, or lima beans. Try using fresh cilantro or basil instead of parsley. Double the recipe. Freeze leftovers for another night. Or, freeze in individual servings and pull out for quick lunches.
More About Tomato
How to Select
Choose plump tomatoes with smooth skins, free from bruises or cracks.
How to Store
Store at room temperature until they have fully ripened. Smell is the best indicator of ripeness.
How to Prepare
Wash with cold water before slicing. They can be eaten raw, stuffed, stewed, sauteed, grilled and much more.
You Might Also Like
Baked Flaked Fish with Tartar Sauce
Homemade tartar sauce is easy to make and a perfect complement to this fish!
Instead of deep-fried, fast-food chicken nuggets try this baked version. Kids can't resist them!