3 medium carrots
2 medium onions
3 large cloves garlic
4 cups fresh spinach
3/4 cup pearl barley
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
6 cups water
4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup dried lentils
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Optional Ingredients: 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Large pot with lid
1. Rinse, peel, and dice carrots and onions. Peel and mince garlic. Rinse and chop spinach.
2. In a colander, rinse barley with cold water.
3. In a large pot, add oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onions. Cook until slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Add garlic, paprika, and cayenne pepper to pot. Stir and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Add barley, water, and broth to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Partially cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. In a colander, rinse lentils with cold water. Add lentils to pot, along with tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Add spinach to soup and stir. Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
8. Add salt and pepper and stir. If using Parmesan cheese, add now.
If soup is too thick, add extra liquid (water or broth) to your taste. Beans and grains continue to absorb water when stored in the fridge. When reheating leftover soup, add water or broth as needed. Use kale, chard, or collard greens in place of spinach, if you like. For a more filling and healthier soup, add more colorful veggies.
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand& stored in cold root cellar at 32-40
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops bottoms. Peel. To eat raw add to salads. Have as snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed Microwaved or boiled until tender.