4 large bananas
2 cups mixed fresh berries
Non-stick cooking spray
5 Tablespoons whole wheat flour, divided
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
4 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter
2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 Tablespoon honey
9-inch square baking dish
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Peel and slice bananas in half lengthwise.
3. Rinse berries and pat dry.
4. Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place the banana halves flat side down in the baking dish.
5. Toss berries with 1 Tablespoon flour. Sprinkle berries over the bananas.
6. In a medium bowl, add 4 Tablespoons flour, oats, sugar, and spices. Stir to blend.
7. Cut cold butter into little pieces. Add to bowl. Using your fingers, quickly blend the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly.
8. Spread the crumbly mixture over the fruit in an even layer. Press down slightly.
9. Bake about 10-15 minutes, or until the crumble is firm and golden in color.
10. While crumble bakes, stir together yogurt and honey in a small bowl to create a lighter version of whipped cream.
11. When crumble is done, spoon 1 Tablespoon of the yogurt and honey topping over each serving.
When berries are not in season, use frozen berries. Before adding, bring berries to room temperature and drain off any liquid. Use reserved berry liquid to flavor sparkling water or club soda for a naturally sweet, low calorie drink. If using whole strawberries, cut in half or slice before using.
More About Strawberries
How to Select
Choose shiny, firm strawberries with a bright red color. Caps should be fresh, green and intact. Avoid shriveled, mushy or leaky berries.
How to Store
Do not wash strawberries until ready to eat. Store in refrigerator for 1-3 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water with caps still attached; pat dry with a paper towel. Place in a salad spinner to remove excess water. Wash the berries just before you plan to use them.
You Might Also Like
Instead of deep-fried, fast-food chicken nuggets try this baked version. Kids can't resist them!